The garage door is one of the most important doors in every home. While the garage is supposed to keep your car safe from trouble and weather, investing in a good quality door, and taking good care of it can help prevent problems such as warping, inability to lock automatically, or even worse, fail to open. Garage door repair and maintenance is therefore required to help prevent accidents or even loss of valuables in the future. Outlined below are a few garage door repair tips to help you out.
- Clean the door track: The first step to ensuring your garage door operates properly and doesn’t jam when you attempt to close/open is by cleaning/clearing the garage door track. While oiling or lubricating the door track is an excellent way to ensure smooth operation, it would be advisable to clean the track first before greasing or lubricating. This is because oil and other lubricants trap dust particles and other debris which accumulate over time. The accumulated material makes it hard for the door or its rollers to slide open. Nonetheless, wiping clean the door track before oiling is a very good idea.
- Realign door sensors: Almost all automatic garage doors use sensors to open and close. If any of these sensors is misaligned (due to extended use), the door may start malfunctioning or even fail to open/close at all. Nevertheless, having the sensors realigned or repositions can help correct the problem hence prevent a disaster in the future. Many garage door manufacturers today install indicators to show when the sensors are misaligned. A blinking light on the sensors may indicate a misaligned sensor.
- Reset the garage door opener: There are times when the garage door will fail to close completely – leaving a gap at the bottom. If this happens, all you may need to do is reset the garage door opener. Although some manufacturers may have a reset button on the opener, unplugging the system, and then plugging it in again always does the trick.
- Replace/tighten broken cables, nuts and bolts: Lose nuts, bolts, and cables can be a primary cause of trouble with the garage door. Looking out for loose bolts and nuts, then tightening them can help reduce the creaky noise, as well as restore efficiency on the same. Most garage doors use tight flex-cables that help close and open the door. If any is broken or loose, have a certified and experienced technician handle it.
- Lubricate moving parts: The efficiency of any garage door depends on proper lubrication of tracks, rollers, and pulleys. Lubricating these moving parts helps reduce friction, and wear and tear on the same. This helps the door function properly as well as last much longer than the manufacturer indicated. A special lubricating spray, household lubricants, or powdered graphite should be used to lubricate these parts. You also need to be careful when lubricating these, especially if there are electrical devices close by.
While maintaining your garage is recommended, some problems such as warped door frames, broken flex-tension cables, or even a faulty electrical system need the expertise of a professional technician like this company. Always call a certified technician to help with the problem. The garage door repair tips discussed above should however help prevent bigger problems in the future.